Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Instant Thoughts

Red Rose
I do not think I can stress this enough, what a great time we will teach in! Today I bought a netbook, this computer is smaller then my first cellphone! It has capabilities beyond those I would have imagined when the cellphone was introduced eons ago. I can listen to music, read, listen to podcast, watch movies, play games, learn,chat with friends, the list is endless. The most amazing thing is many of these things can be done from a cellphone that is no bigger then half a pb&j sandwich! Technology has changed so why are we not using it differently?

In the video 'How We Dream', Richard Miller emphasizes how gadgets can take the place of books and be used to teach students. Look around, this "stuff" is what the students are familiar with. We would not speak to English speaking students in Greek. Why then would we try to teach them with outdated materials and techniques?

Technology has the capability to make learning more interesting. Programs allow lessons to be animated(not like a cartoon. When things move and pop out the student is more likely to pay attention and remember the material presented. The ability to interact with the presentation will also help the attention span and have positive results in the classroom.

Learning Is Personal

Now that netbooks and iPads are here, why spend so much on textbooks? For the price about two of my books this semester I could have bought the laptop I am using right now. With this laptop I can access more information then those two books contain combines and then some. I can obtain so much information connected to the web, I could read for days on end with out stopping and never read the same thing twice.

Now with this idea in mind, why would I ever need a teacher, or ever need to be one? We all need guidance, there is someone out there smarter or who knows which direction the answer lies in. There has to be someone to get yo back on track!A leader to keep things in check.

With this being said, I think developing a personal learning network, and finding information from others, using iTunes U and other credible resources, any student is on the way to better understanding and knowledge of any subject out there!


Authentic?

The Machine Is Changing Us

If you read this blog, and have not watched this video, you really should... What has this world come to? WHATEVER? Who cares? Does it really matter? Actually to me it really does! Perhaps to you it is insignificant, but to someone who has the idea of changing the world one person at the time, everything matters.

Just because we communicate on the web, we post on Facebook or read it on a blog, be yourself. WHATEVER, you do, I am not here to judge you, I want to know you as a person, I want to see you express yourself, your thoughts. Jut be aware, WHATEVER you put out there, it is out there for all to see! If I could give one word of wisdom, only because it is the one thing I , myself would improve on, watch spelling (there is a spell check feature for almost every platform out there/use it!!)

WHATEVER you do, where ever you go, be yourself! Your worth it, and so it the person next to. Take the time to make a difference. Do WHATEVER it takes! We are going to be teachers, we will be making a big difference, for the rest of someones life. Some lives that have not yet begun!

2 comments:

  1. "Why then would we try to teach them with outdated materials and techniques?" I agree. Why? Some say cost but we could buy every K-12 student in the United States a MacBook at retail for only 5 1/2 moths of the Iraq war!

    And spelling! LIsten class to Tabitha! There is a red line when it is misspelled!

    So you are thinking about abandoning the "Learning Guides" and going into nursing? Our schools, or whatever they are in the future, will be less as a result. But I certainly understand. This week one student said "Dr. Strange, I just want you to teach me so I don't have to learn." A fascinating Freudian slip! And yet, my "stars" - you, Dina and others in Classes B and C and maybe other classes which I need to learn more about - bring tears of joy when it is clear that you "get it."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be forever changed because of classes like this one. Just because I go to nursing does not mean I will cease to care about education. I will be there for my kids and when they are to big for my concern so other child will need my help. There are never enough voices to stand up and make a difference. Some see them as just a child, I look and see our future. I happen to live in the world and they will one day make the decisions here.

    ReplyDelete