Thursday, March 25, 2010

Revolution of the Mind

purple flowers on a branch

Why should information cost anything? If you ask me a question and I give you an answer there should be no cost. A debate or discussion should be a source of mental stimulation, not a steady income. Morgan Bayda has blogged about this very question. How much time is wasted or how much money is spent to obtain an education when so much of what we need to learn is right here on the world wide web!

I have recently decided to change my major. I will always embrace education and be an advocate for learning. The one thing that I find to be most distressful is the idea that prior knowledge and experience counts as very little if your lucky enough to have it count as anything at all! It is if we play a game, classes/hours are cards, and we have to collect the right ones, in the right order, to finish and do the thing that we think we are called to do. There is endless information available to everyone on practically every subject, all that has to be done is a search. I do see a revolution happening in education, I also miss some of the traditional ways of blackboards and erasers, but I am adapting. With this revolution must come the change of the system, the students will liberate themselves from the books. We as educators must help them find the way to incorporate this into the knowledge base.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed this post and think that you made some really good points.

    ReplyDelete