Monday, January 25, 2010

January 26, 2010

Kids playing in a classroom

I Thought There Were Peas In a Pod!

I can think now is, wow! I am not old, yet is am older than many of those in college. Until this assignment, I had no clue as to what a podcast is or did. The few short weeks in this class has me wondering why this stuff is not used more often in the classroom. In many ways these applications would free up time for the teacher to be doing something else, like helping that student that is behind or teaching the child who has a hunger for knowledge.

As I listened to "Smart Board Podcast", I realized this is something that can be done from anywhere. The only thing I think I would change would be the devotion given to the audience. Perhaps I am wrong, but doing this is like a virtual answering machine. I found it rude to the audience and the server that the speaker would try to order coffee and record the information at the same time. I could understand recording while I was driving or sitting drinking my coffee, but not while I am in line!

As for Kid Cast, this site is simply amazing. The opportunity to build self confidence in a child by using this tool is endless. The few that I listened to by kids were not perfect, perhaps a bit of adult supervision would have helped the podcast be clearer. The opportunity for teachers to reach the student is also a great aspect. The story I listened to by an adult from this site was very well done.

The other thing I noticed about the various sites and speakers was the amount of preparation that went into their work. It is like giving a speech and you should always try to be prepared when your going to do public speaking. I know this is not always possible, but those who had their ideas drawn out, made a better podcast. It was clearer and more easily understood.

School Is More Then Reading and Writing -

Parents send their children to school so they may become productive members of society. Those of us from the old school learned to read and write. What students have today are opportunities that exceed anything I could have ever dreamed up. Mrs. Kathy Cassidy did a wonderful job showing what her students have learned because of computers, and how they can connect because of them. Although these children were in 1st grade, they were capable of computer task that I am just now learning even exist. Way to go Mrs. Cassidy and class!

These children are our future. Going back to the idea that the jobs these students will be faced with have not yet been created, brings a dilemma. How do you teach what is not yet available? It appears that all that is available to the teacher is being taught to the students. What is most amazing is they understand. The technology appears to enhance their learning, not hinder it.

Huge Potential-

Mrs. Cassidy and class show just how connected they are to the world. These children are being taught not only how to use the web, but how to be safe and courteous. These concepts will carry over to all aspects of their life.

One of the things that I think is wonderful about the integration of technology into the class room, is the possibilities of resources are endless. In this day and age there are so many budget cuts, the Internet will give the opportunity to take students on virtual field trips, and meet people who live on the other side of the world. I hope to be this kind of teacher when I am done. Thank-you Mr. Strange for showing the potential of technology.

If a 1 year old, little boy can use an iPhone better then I can, I can't imagine what he will be technologically capable of by the time he gets to 1st grade. What children have access to today is simply amazing, I just hope to catch up and keep up with gadget world!




3 comments:

  1. That is a great point about Dr. Strange showing us the potential of technology. Just like you that was the first time that I ever listened to a podcast, and could be very useful to teachers and students alike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am proud to read that Ms. Cassidy not only show the first graders how to use the web, but how to be safe. It is very important for kids to be careful on the web these days because there are a lot of predators that are searching online for targets. I also agree that it is amazing that kids are using technology at an earlier age and it will help them advance in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done. You wrote: "The few short weeks in this class has me wondering why this stuff is not used more often in the classroom." Any guesses?

    In reading your comments about Ms. Cassidy's class it made me think I should try and get her to Skype our class. I shall contact her next week.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete