Friday, January 22, 2010

January 23, 2010

Being a Student Today...

I can only imagine how college once was, but I do know how it is today. I can wonder how higher education will be different by the time my children go to school. Technology has a place in learning, and makes a great tool to help both the teacher and the student. I often wonder if the advances in technology hold people back because they can not manage their time. Multi-tasking is not the answer. We all do it , but it makes us less efficient.

My experience as a college student probably differs from that of a typical student. I have kids almost as old as many of the people that sit around me. I am here to learn. I am here to make a difference when I graduate. I do have to say, I miss the old way of teaching. I like to interact with my instructors, web based learning is odd to me. But then again when I was in high school, computers were not what they are today.

If It's Not About Technology, What is It About?

I can only reflect on my experiences with my own children when it comes down to the concept of being taught something and truly learning the information presented. I have spent hours, 100's of hours helping my kids "learn" something that was "taught" in a classroom. Both of my boys are dyslexic, and it takes a bit of effort to get the information in a way they can understand. The sad part of this no one else takes the time to help them learn. Although they have a difficulty that not every child has, my experiences teaching tell me that all students learn in different ways.

With that being said, this is where technology can enhance what the future generation is taught so they can really learn the stuff. The young people of today do know more computers and gadgets than most adults. Adults should be learners and adapt to the changes. These new advances will help us be better teachers, because computers/gadgets are where our kids get their information. Imagine if the light bulb was shunned in the classroom the way technology is pushed aside!

It Is Not OK!!

Illiteracy is never acceptable. It does not matter if it is reading and writing or technology. How can a teacher expect to help kids learn if they do not speak the same language? They will not! Educators must get on the same level with the students. There must be an ability to adapt to changing times. The times have changed, and computers are here to stay.

I find the idea of a teacher not liking computers or even taking the time to learn to use them rather absurd. The children in first grade this year will be making the decisions that will effect everyones life before we know it. How many times have you seen the phrase that reinforces the jobs these children will face have not yet been created? Really think about it, there is so much truth to this idea. Another concept-we have become familiar with is the use of computers in the world. These computers either do a job or make the job being done more efficient. If as educators we all believe in technology literacy, we will be able to get better equipment of those we teach. In many schools they computers are outdated or dusty. We must teach this, our lives may depend on it.

Movement of Media-

The rate that that media is moving at this very moment is astounding. Every time I see numbers like this, my thoughts go back to my first cell phone. Funny thing is it was about the size of the notebook computer I am using right now. It may have weighed even more! We were astounded to have numeric pagers at work. (I was a medic and this device became very important to get us places or find us) Then alpha-numeric pagers made the transfer of information from the office to the field a breeze. Now with a cell phone, you can text and get on the world wide web. The cardiac monitors we use were updated and now have computers inside of them to help do the job better. The trucks have notebooks mounted in the cab to make every aspect of the job stream line.

Getting back to the transfer of information going on at this very moment... There are many applications available that are free. The computers should not be dusty, we should be teaching kids with all that is available to them and us. I can see using a blog to help teach my class, even as a way to communicate with parents. I wish those who teach my children now would take advantage to these tool.






3 comments:

  1. I have to disagree with you on Illiteracy is unacceptable. I think it is okay to be illiterate as long as you continue to learn and update what you are learning. I am hearing impaired and I do not know everything because I do not hear many things. But I am willing learn things that I haven't heard. Good opinion though!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tiffany, I agree with you in that sense. Everyone should work to the best of their ability and not skip out on the knowledge because they just do not like what they are are learning. My children have learning disabilities and can not learn everything, but they do try, not always with success. I would not consider that illiteracy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I can wonder how higher education will be different by the time my children go to school." So should the faculty! I am working on an article which will predict the demise of what we know as universities today. I will offer some strange predictions about what will take their place.

    I am sorry my first post did not make it but I remember reading your post and commenting on your two sons. Without technology you effort to insure they get a good education would be much more difficult!

    I also commented on the fact that you are here "to learn" and made some quip like "How unique." But we have caused that ourselves (educational institutions). We reward sitting in class and behaving. We are not so capable when it comes to actually evaluating (and encouraging) learning! That is one of the reasons I think we are in real trouble!

    ReplyDelete